My friends suggested me to visit a gynecologist for the first time
It’s never too late to visit your gynecologist, whether you are visiting one at the age of 15 or at 25. If you have a vagina, then it’s inevitable to make a visit to your gynecologist. However, one may feel shy and uncomfortable while talking about your sensitive areas to your gynecologist. I was also scared, to visit the gynecologist for the first time when I was suffering from painful periods, but my friends suggested me to visit a nearby gynecologist and get myself checked. It’s always necessary to get yourself checked if you observe any abnormality with your reproductive system, because you may never know what disease or abnormality you are suffering from unless you visit a gynecologist.
Many organizations for women health advise visiting their gynecologist at an age of 13-15 years. Upon visiting an ob/gyn I found out that it’s not always scary and uncomfortable to visit your gynecologist, sometimes it can be satisfactory and empowering as well.
How will your gynecologist treat you during your first visit?
- A gynecologist is a doctor or a physician who is specialized in treating and correcting various disorders related to the female reproductive organ.
- You may feel anxious during your first visit to your gynecologist, and learning this, your gynecologist may try to make you comfortable by asking few general questions regarding your health, and medical history or any family history related to your issue.
- Your gynecologist is there for you and you can ask as many questions as you can like issues faced by your body, how periods work, how it causes such extreme pain, or about your breasts, and regarding intercourse and various other methods of safe sex.
- It’s very important to document all your questions before you visit your gynecologist.
- The other most important point is to relax and treat your gynecologist as your best friend or someone who has greater knowledge about your health and can take away all your pain.
- However, the first visit may end up with just talking between you and your doctor unless you are facing any problem with your reproductive system.
What exams can be performed during your first visit to a gynecologist?
- Before meeting a gynecologist you may be confronted with a nurse, who will examine your general health and record your blood pressure, body weight and maybe height.
- After discussing your problems with your gynecologist, if he/she finds out that there is some issue related to your reproductive health, then they may conduct a physical exam, may ask you to change your clothes and lie down on a table, where your doctor can
- During the physical examination your gynecologist may gently press your lower abdomen near the pelvic area or can also look at your vulva to diagnose the problem and offer effective treatment.
- In some cases, if the condition is not ruled out by physical exam, your doctor may ask you to undergo certain tests, which will be conducted only if you have any serious issue like sexually transmitted infection, heavy menstrual flow, and abnormal discharge.
What will be the average time spent with the gynecologist during my first visit?
The time spent with your gynecologist may depend upon the number of questions you ask, and what health problem you have, and sometimes it also depends upon the number of appointments and patients waiting in queue to consult your gynecologist.
The average time spent with your gynecologist can be anywhere around 5-10 minutes.
Few reasons you should stop worrying about right now while visiting your gynecologist for the first time
- Forget feeling embarrassed while removing your bra and panties in front of your gynecologist, because it’s ultimately your good health and not the materialistic things. Your gynecologist has the responsibility to treat you and provide better solutions for your good health; these objects are considered as a hindrance between your health and treatment.
- The smell of your vagina- if you are concerned about how your gynecologist may feel if they smell your bad odor vagina. A gynecologist is least concerned about your body odor unless you are suffering from infections like bacterial vaginosis. So, stop stressing about your vaginal smell.
- Do you need to shave before you visit a gynecologist – well, this is totally your preference, a gynecologist has to work on your vagina whether it is shaved or not. So, it really doesn’t matter even if you don’t shave your vagina during your first visit.
- Can you visit your gynecologist during periods? It’s completely okay to visit your gynecologist when you are on your periods unless you are asked for a Pap smear test or urine test.
- Will the gynecologist judge me if he/she found out that I have multiple sex partners? A gynecologist responsibility is to make you feel safe rather than judging you and your life. The doctor can provide you with multiple safe options to avoid you from bad health.